Countdown to Tarmon Gai'don
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Will Rand Live or Die?

2 posters

Go down

Will Rand Live or Die? Empty Will Rand Live or Die?

Post  The_Dark_1 Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:24 pm

Does anyone else think Rand is going to live? I think Padin Fain is going to throw a monkey wrench into things. He hates both Rand and the Dark One. And for a guy who hasn't done all that much Jordan has kept him somewhat in the picture throughout 11 books. I always looked at him as the Gollum character in the grand scheme of things. Pretty much in the background but plays a major part in the climax of the series. I also think that since Jordan has basically been telling that Rand is going to die from book one on that he is going to live. The Dragon has always died in the past and the wheel just keeps on spinning in the same cycle. I think that this time it will be different and that is why Jordan has decided to tell this tale and not one of the countless other times the Dragon has faced off against the Dark One. That being said I don't know if I would necessarily like it if he lived and we got a happy ending, and he ushered in a new Age of Legends. A part of me believes that Rand needs to die and through his sacrifice bring peace to the world. I am very torn on this theory, I'm just throwing it out there to see what other people think.

The_Dark_1
Ta'veren
Ta'veren

Back to top Go down

Will Rand Live or Die? Empty **SPOILERS**

Post  Eric Gaidin Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:05 am

First off, I can't believe it took me so long to reply to this theory.

Rand will die. I think it will be surprising that other main characters will die at Tarmon Gai'don. For one, I think Perrin's love for Faile or Lan's love for Nynaeve will end their lives. When the world is falling apart around everyone's ears, love will become the mode of ultimate sacrifice. The dichotomy is too obvious to conceal. In fact, this is more of a reason for Rand's death. Rand is romantically involved with three women, and that bond will shatter. More importantly, Rand's baby will inherit something from Rand when its born--the ability to channel, the following of the Dragonsworn--something must come of it.

Also, I don't think Jordan will usurp his own cosmological foundation--the wheel of time itself. The Dragon will die fighting the Shadow, but will be reborn. Jordan's cosmology is all about neutrality and balance, not good eradicating evil. See my longer essay titled "On the Philosophies of the Light and the Shadow" for a more detailed explanation of this cosmology. CLICK HERE

Ultimately, Rand must die by Sheathing the Sword. See my post in this forum regarding that topic. There's no reason why Rand would have learned that from Lan back in the beginning of book two. Jordan has always said that he has known the ending of the series before he started writing book one. It's all planned. The hints are there.
Eric Gaidin
Eric Gaidin
Admin
Admin

https://robertjordan.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down