Countdown to Tarmon Gai'don
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Green Man

3 posters

Go down

The Green Man Empty The Green Man

Post  The_Dark_1 Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:25 pm

I know I am jumping way ahead but I am getting to the end of The Eye of the World today and when reading Rand's encounter with the Green Man I noticed something pretty cool. The Green Man looks at Rand and is surprised to see him wearing a sword. We know he looks like an Aiel and we also find out in book 4 that they WILL NOT carry a sword. Just another glimpse of how far ahead Mr. Jordan figured this out. We all know he had the end written before he started but little details like this really show his planning and foresight.

The_Dark_1
Ta'veren
Ta'veren

Back to top Go down

The Green Man Empty Re: The Green Man

Post  Eric Gaidin Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:31 pm

Wow, that's crazy. Apparently Jordan had copious notes and files on all of the characters. It would take an author with tremendous organizational skills to write a magnum opus such as WoT. Jordan was obviously fit for the job.

You've read the whole book again? That's awesome. I'm finishing Elantris this week, I hope. Then I want to read the Farseer Trilogy. Once that's done, I'm devoting this year to reading Jordan. Being that I want to focus on his writing to create a Master's Thesis, I figure one year of research is truly warranted.
Eric Gaidin
Eric Gaidin
Admin
Admin

https://robertjordan.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Peter Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:09 pm

Who is the green man and what part does he play in the book? Im drawing a blank right now.

Peter
Ta'veren
Ta'veren

Back to top Go down

The Green Man Empty The Green Man

Post  The_Dark_1 Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:50 pm

The Green Man is who the party encounters when they are looking for the Eye of the World at the end of the book. He is a large man made of the forest who makes Loal look like a child. He guards the Eye of the World

The_Dark_1
Ta'veren
Ta'veren

Back to top Go down

Post  Peter Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:37 pm

Ok yes i remember now thank you. I was mixiing him up from a different green man.

Peter
Ta'veren
Ta'veren

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric Gaidin Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:07 am

The Green Man shows how well read Jordan was. He's from Celtic and Norse myth. You may want to also look up the medieval story of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight for another possible influence.
Eric Gaidin
Eric Gaidin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Peter Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:17 pm

But i thought the green man couldn't die? If i am correct. The only thing i have read on the green man was in a book of a collecting of King Arthur stories, but if hes the green man im thinking of he cannot die, even when he gets his head chopped off.

Peter
Ta'veren
Ta'veren

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric Gaidin Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:10 am

He's symbolic of the natural world. In many stories he's the primal protector of the forest. The end of EotW is rife with symbolism representing a change in the natural order. Rand is ta'veren, along with the others. However, Rand is destined not only to shape the weaves of the Pattern but to tear the world apart in order to re-establish the balance of good and evil. The Forsaken are loose, and therefore that balance has shifted towards evil. The death of the Green Man symbolizes the imminent change that Rand will cause. Imminent, by the way, in story time, not publishing time. I think the whole timespan of the books is one or two years.

Anyway, Rand is going to re-break the world and thus destroy nature as it has already been established. The Green Man's death is a symbol of the start of that, a symbol of Rand's acquiesence towards his role of new-world progenitor. It's quite intelligent really, on Jordan's part: The Green Man represents the established natural order. The Dragon is supposed to unite the people against the Dark One only to shatter the world and forge it anew. Jordan is showing us here, through the Green Man's death, that Rand is beginning to fulfill his destiny. Not only will the people of the world be affected, but also will the very land be changed by the Dragon's coming. This is further developed by the death of the two Forsaken at the end of the novel. Rand has, in one book, already begun work on the two of the three fronts the Dragon, historically, has transformed: 1) the supernatural (as represented by the Forsaken, and 2) the natural (the Green Man). The only front not truly affected at the end of EotW is the political, which is obviously the focus of most of the rest of the series.

I'll analyze that part further once I re-read it. Those were some of my thoughts when I read it last in college.
Eric Gaidin
Eric Gaidin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum