Who wants to help me write a paper!

Go down

Who wants to help me write a paper!

Post  Peter on Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:52 pm

Starting the last couple of weeks, my teacher in English has been reviewing different stages of the largest paper of the year. It is called the monomyth, and it is an analysis of hero's journey throughout a novel. There are many stages of the journey, and we have to take a book or movie (or book series or series of movies) of our own choosing and compare it to Huckleberry Finn's journey throughout The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.

I have discussed this with Eric a little bit, but i want to bring up this subject here for some more opinions and any help along the way, since i know everyone who will be reading this is an avid reader.

The two books i am split between right now is LoTR or WoT.

Originally, i was planning to do Lord of the Rings, but i haven't read the books since i was like 9, and i only have the movies memorized. The journey in Lord of the Rings is a perfect example of the journeymyth, but if i was going to do this i would either have to use the movies (which are amazing), or reread the books (which would take me about a week).

Another option for me is doing none other than The Wheel of Time, by Robert Jordan (sound familiar to anyone?). This option would make for an amazing paper if done well, but it might be a little bit on the complex size to write my paper on. If i was going to do this, i might have to single out a single character, like Rand, and follow his Journey through either only the first book, or maybe the first couple. If possible, i think it would be awesome to do Wheel of Time, but it might prove to be to great of a challenge for me.

Eric has already recommended that i use LoTR, but i would like some more opinions. I don't know the exact requirements for the length of the paper, but in previous years it has been at least 20 pages, and some people write over 50. I hope that anyone can help me out with this, and also help out if i need some help along the way writing the paper.

I forgot the packet that contains the requirements for the paper today, but i will post them tomarrow as well the stages of the heros journey.

Peter
Ta'veren
Ta'veren

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Who wants to help me write a paper!

Post  Peter on Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:02 pm

This is an outline that i found on wikipedia of the different stages of the monomyth similar to the one we are using.

Departure (or Separation)
The Call to Adventure
Refusal of the Call
Supernatural Aid
The Crossing of the First Threshold
Belly of The Whale
Initiation
The Road of Trials
Mother as Goddess
Woman as Temptress
Atonement with the Father
Apotheosis
The Ultimate Boon
Return
Refusal of the Return
The Magic Flight
Rescue from Without
The Crossing of the Return Threshold
Master of Two Worlds
Freedom to Live

Peter
Ta'veren
Ta'veren

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Peter on Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:03 pm

sorry that got a little messed up the spacing didnt come out how i wanted it.

* 2.1 Departure (or Separation)
o 2.1.1 The Call to Adventure
o 2.1.2 Refusal of the Call
o 2.1.3 Supernatural Aid
o 2.1.4 The Crossing of the First Threshold
o 2.1.5 Belly of The Whale
* 2.2 Initiation
o 2.2.1 The Road of Trials
o 2.2.2 Mother as Goddess
o 2.2.3 Woman as Temptress
o 2.2.4 Atonement with the Father
o 2.2.5 Apotheosis
o 2.2.6 The Ultimate Boon
* 2.3 Return
o 2.3.1 Refusal of the Return
o 2.3.2 The Magic Flight
o 2.3.3 Rescue from Without
o 2.3.4 The Crossing of the Return Threshold
o 2.3.5 Master of Two Worlds
o 2.3.6 Freedom to Live

Peter
Ta'veren
Ta'veren

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric Gaidin on Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:24 pm

Aside from LotR, there are a couple of classic epics you should consider. First, you have The Odyssey by Homer which is really the journey myth that started it all. In fact, our lexicon was forever changed by the epic--an "odyssey" is a long, protracted journey. So, you can compare Huck Finn to Odysseus' travels. In fact they would fit beautifully.

The second epic you should really take a look at is Virgil's Aeneid. The Aeneid chronicles Aeneus' journey from the defeated Troy to Italy, where he establishes the beginnings of the Italian and Roman empire. Again, this book is nothing more than the journey myth begun in The Odyssey reimagined. In fact, Virgil copied the Homeric formula so well, you can almost see the Aeneid as book number 3 of the account of the fall of Troy: The Iliad is the destruction of Troy itself, The Odyssey is Odysseus' journey home to Ithaca, and The Aeneid is Aeneus's (Aeneus is a Trojan) journey from fallen Troy in search of a new home. It was truly Virgil's attempt at founding Rome's creation within the classic Greek storyline.

So, I'd like to put that on your plate as well. The Odyssey just kicks ass, so it's a great read. It's up to you.
Eric Gaidin
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://robertjordan.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Peter on Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:30 pm

The only problem with that is that i only have untill the 17th to finish this. I don't think that gives me enough time to read anything new. If i was going to read LotR again it would have to be a quick read because i have to start writing my paper this weekend.

Peter
Ta'veren
Ta'veren

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric Gaidin on Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:40 am

Just don't re-read the entire series. Re-read only certain sections that you know you want to cover in your paper. Time is limited these days, don't waste it doing extraneous things!
Eric Gaidin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Peter on Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:33 pm

Yes i think i am just going to do the movie. here is the first stage outline that i have done so far.

The Lord of the Rings Monomyth Outline

Stage One: Departure

The Call to Adventure:

Huck Finn: Huck’s dysfunctional family causes him to leave. Huck is forced to run away so that his father does take advantage of him, and kill him.
The Lord of the Rings: Bilbo gives Frodo the Ring of Power, and Frodo is forced to fell the Shire in order to take the ring to Rivendell.

Refusal of the Call:

Huck Finn: Huck cannot refuse the call or else he will die. Tom Sawyer on the other hand, refuses the call by staying home and pretending to go on adventures, but doesn’t actually leave.
The Lord of the Rings: Frodo does not want to leave his home at the Shire. Gandalf convinces him to leave, but he still thinks that he will be back soon.

Supernatural Aid:

Huck Finn: Jim is Huck’s supernatural aid. Without Jim, Huck would have never have journeyed down the river, but because of Jim, Huck travels downriver in order to help Jim escape from slavery.
The Lord of the Rings: Gandalf is Frodo’s supernatural aid. He tells Frodo of the danger that he is in, and tells him to flee the shire and meet him at The Prancing Pony.

The Crossing of the First Threshold:

Huck Finn: When Huck dresses up as a girl to sneak into down, he has to go through a series of test to prove that he is a girl to Mrs. Loffus. He failed his first test of being a girl, but then passes his second test of being a country boy.
The Lord of the Rings: After finding out that Gandalf isn’t at the Prancing Pony, the hobbits flee with Strider to Rivendell. This is the point at which Frodo realizes that he might not return home.

The Belly of the Whale:

Huck Finn: When Huck gets separated from Jim when their raft gets hit by a ship, Huck finds himself at the Grangerford family’s cabin. They take him in, and he lives with them for a while. After Huck’s doppelganger Buck is killed in a battle between the rivaling families, Huck realizes that that could have been him, and he is transformed.
The Lord of the Rings: While Frodo and his companions are fleeing to Rivendell, they are attacked by the Black Riders, Frodo is stabbed by one, and he falls into a semi-conscience near death state. This near death experience swallows Frodo up from the old world into the new world, and Frodo wakes up in a different world, Rivendell.

Peter
Ta'veren
Ta'veren

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Stage Two

Post  Peter on Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:57 pm

Stage Two: Initiation

The Road of Trials:

Huck Finn: Huck goes through a series of trials that helps him along his road to maturity. He fails being a girl, passes being a country boy, fails the fog test with him passes when he protects Jim, passes when he observes that Jim is a human being.
The Lord of the Rings: Frodo has to journey though many tests, such as the mines of moria, fighting with orcs, getting separated from the fellowship, and many other things

Meeting with the Goddess:

Huck Finn: Huck Finn meets with the goddess when he first meets Mary Jane, and falls in love with her. Mary Jane is Huck’s idealized love, and she teaches him how love, and how to care about people.
The Lord of the Rings: Frodo meets with the goddess when they are fleeing from goblins out of the Mines of Moria, and they hide out with the Elves of Lothlórien. Frodo falls in love with the Lady of the Forrest, Galadriel, and he falls in love with her. She becomes Frodo’s idealized love.

Women as Temptress/ Male as Tempter:

Huck Finn: Huck skips this stage because he is too young.
The Lord of the Rings: Frodo skips this stage because he is forced to endure the heavy burden of the ring, and has to time to think about women.

Atonement with Father/ Atonement with Mother:

Huck Finn: Huck cannot go through this stage with his father, Pap is dead. Instead, he has to accept Jim as a father figure. Jim is like a father to Huck; he gives him advice, looks after him, and disciplines him.
The Lord of the Rings: Frodo goes through atonement, not with his father, but with Sam. Sam is almost like a father figure to Bilbo, because even though he knows he cannot bear the weight of the ring for Frodo, he is right there beside him all along the journey, and he realizes what Frodo is going through.

Apotheosis:

Huck Finn: Huck goes through this stage when he meets Mary Jane. She teaches him to care for people, to care for life, to be a good person, to not be racist, and that love can matter more than money. This understanding helps Huck to mature, and to make the decision that he thinks will send him to hell.
The Lord of the Rings: Frodo goes through this understanding when he realizes that Gollum was once a hobbit just like him, named Sméagol. Frodo realizes that some thing can drive people mad, and that he should care for Sméagol, because it is not his fault that he is villainous and evil.

The Ultimate Boon:

Huck Finn: Huck achieves this when he realizes that Jim is a human being, Jim is a father figure, love is essential, its important to be sensitive, you should act on belief system, and other thing, but he finally achieves this when he defies God by ripping the letter., and decides to save Jim anyway.
The Lord of the Rings: Frodo finally completes his journey when he throws the ring into Mount Doom, and destroy the forces of evil. Middle Earth is then safe from Sauron and him Mordor.

Peter
Ta'veren
Ta'veren

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Stage Three

Post  Peter on Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:22 pm

Stage Three: The Return

Refusal of the Return:

Huck Finn: When Huck finds Tom Sawyer, this a refusal of return because Tom brings the worst of the old world back to Huck, and causes him to revert back to his premature state.
The Lord of the Rings: Once Frodo throws the ring into Mount Doom, he is trapped on a rock with lava flowing all around him. At this point he realizes that he is not going to be able to make it home, and he gives up all hope.

The Magic Flight:

Huck Finn: ?
The Lord of the Rings: Frodo is rescued from the rock surrounded by lava by the Great Eagles. They are Frodo’s Magic Flight, and he awakes to find himself back in Rivendell in bed.

Rescue from Without:

The Lord of the Rings: When Frodo finally makes it back to the Shire and him home at Bag End, he realizes that he no longer fits in, and no one can understand what he has gone through. In order to survive, he has to leave his old life and start out on a new adventure, or die. Frodo is effectively dying by going with the elves to Undying Lands, the Gray Havens.

Master of Two Worlds:

The Lord of the Rings: Frodo fails becoming a master of two worlds, because since he cannot live peacefully in the old world, the shire, after all that has happened in the new world, he must flee to the Gray Havens.
Freedom to Live:
The Lord of the Rings: Frodo accepts that the world is flawed, and that the only place he can go to accept the terror and destruction is with the elves to the Undying Lands.

Peter
Ta'veren
Ta'veren

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric Gaidin on Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:19 pm

Stage One

First, in the Suernatural Aid section, you really need to explain how Jim is supernatural. In order to do that, you need to stick with qualities. Supernatural means, literally, “outside of nature.” So, what qualities make Jim that way? This could become a sticking point in your analysis.

The crossing of the first threshold: This seems to me like it should be a specific plot point. A threshold is a line or doorway of sorts so there’s got to be something monumental and significant that happens that in turn changes the characters or makes them realize something—a loss of innocence, for example. Here, if you’re using the movies for LotR, you should specifically anlyze the scene where Frodo and the others hide under the roots of the tree to evade the black rider. This is their first contact with evil, and impresses on them how serious the situation is. Nature itself responds in this scene—the bugs and insects scurry off to be away from the black rider. The rider exudes evil, as evidenced by the fleeing insects, and therefore impresses onto the innocent hobbits how dangerous and dire their situation really is.

The Belly of the Whale: My understanding here is describing the point in time where the protagonists are in the thick of it, almost to the point of helpless desperation. If you’re in “the belly of the whale” you’re in a hell of a spot. This in turn for LotR would probably translate to the point at which Gondor has defeated Sauron’s armies yet Sam and Frodo need to cross the Morgul Vale where 10,000 orcs stand in their way. Here, Aragorn makes the decision to leave the safety of the Gondoran walls and march out onto the field to meet the orcs at the black gates. This kamikaze stunt is the only chance for Sam and Frodo. This, I believe, is the meaning of being in the “belly of the whale.” It’s an “oh shit” moment.

Stage Two

I love the Apotheosis section! Sounds great.

The only part I’m concerned about here is the “Ultimate Boon.” A boon is a reward or prize—a benefit. Now, it doesn’t have to be something physical, because sometimes the best prizes are the simple fact that a character survived an ordeal itself or learned something about themselves of great significance. Here, are we talking about the ultimate boon for the main character or for the entirety of the world? You need to decide on which to focus on. I have a feeling that your teacher is thinking big picture on this one.

Stage Three

For the Magic Flight and Rescue from Without you may need to get creative here for Huck Finn. I’ve never read Huck Finn, but you can probably describe a magic flight in terms of Finn’s return—does his changed self take on magical qualities? (i.e. is it all an illusion, a trick of the eye so to speak? You mention Finn reverts back to his old self when he is back with Sawyer.)
Does Finn ever go back to being mature? Does someone bring him to this ultimate realization once more? If so, that’s your rescue from without.

Master of Two Worlds: Huck Finn must be the master of both the immature and mature worlds. It seems that that’s where he’s divided all of the time.

Freedom to Live: Does Huck go off on his own? Make his own path after all is said and done?
Eric Gaidin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Peter on Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:46 pm

Ok i get what you are saying in most of this. Some things to clarify on though:

The Crossing of the First Threshold: i like your idea for this

The Belly of the Whale: i like your idea, but i was thinking along the lines of when frodo gets stabbed because the belly of the whale is a point at which the character experiences a near death experiences, and goes from the old world to the new world. I feel that this scene depicts it better because frodo is almost killed, and when he awakens he is in a mystical place only heard of in stories, and it is at this point when he realizes he cannot go back to the old world.

Stage Three:

For this part i didn't really know what to do for huck finn, but i realized that even though he doesnt make a return journey, it can still work by using his transformation back to his old, immature self as his journey back.

Peter
Ta'veren
Ta'veren

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric Gaidin on Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:36 pm

Your points are valid. Run with them.
Eric Gaidin
Admin
Admin