I can forsee trouble

Go down

I can forsee trouble

Post  kimwhite624 on Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:59 am

Well I started this book over a week ago. Haven't had much time to read, let alone post with recent events, but now I am taking some time for me. I can tell this series is going to be confusing. So I will try to be better at posting. This way you all can tell me what is going on. Firstly, what is the deal with Padden Fain. Is he cured, will he be cured, and if he isn't it seems pretty foolish of Egwene to go visit him. Don't you agree? This lunatic could be feeding off of her. Especially considering how something down there seems to be effecting the guards. Egwene says to Rand how the guards used to be nicer, well I wonder what could be happening. It kind of bothers me when things seem so obvious how characters just don't get it!

kimwhite624
Aes Sedai
Aes Sedai

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: I can forsee trouble

Post  Eric Gaidin on Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:46 pm

First off, when you know something that a character doesn't, it's called dramatic irony. Writers use that to evoke certain feelings from the reader. So, it's intentional. I don't want to give too much away about Fain, but he's an EXTREMELY interesting character. So keep a small corner of your memory for him.
Eric Gaidin
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://robertjordan.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Mr. Fain

Post  The_Dark_1 on Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:12 pm

While it is true what Eric is saying about dramatic Irony. (I won't argue with the English teacher) I think you also have to take into account that they know this man quite well. He had been coming to the two rivers for a few years at this point, telling the kids stories of the outside world. It seems like they have an attachment to him. It even seems off when Rand runs into him in the first book. Fain is acting all kinds of shady and Rand doesn't seem to notice. He is happy to see that he made it out alive. It is easy for us to see from an outside perspective that there is something amiss. I think this is what Eric was talking about with dramatic irony so I won't reiterate his point. I just wanted to add the point that they were friendly with him and perhaps too close to notice things were not as they seem.

The_Dark_1
Ta'veren
Ta'veren

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric Gaidin on Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:47 pm

That's exactly what I was saying. The benefits of writing in the third-person omniscient point of view is that you, as a writer, are free to explore your creation through the eyes of as many characters as you'd like. Jordan is damn near famous for this--how many times were single chapters or prologues written from an obscure character's point of view, only to never really see or hear of that character again? This gives breadth to the already vast world Jordan has created. You will start to see things through Fain's eyes, and this, in some sense, is Jordan's stylistic genius. You come to understand the world through both the altruistic and unwavering light of goodness, and the terrifyingly repressive and monstrous darkness. For those of you who read further, think of Shadar Haran. You'll get my drift.
Eric Gaidin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  kimwhite624 on Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:06 pm

I have to say I am a bit at an advantage even though this is my first time reading it I have all of you to help where I am confused. I even have Eric to explain things, or better yet, to say keep an eye on this guy, or this place comes back later. It helps to keep my interest. So thanks for all your input! Especially here! This is a long confusing series.

Now if I could only get my hands on a book that could explain Wheel of time, almost like a dictionary or encyclopedia?

kimwhite624
Aes Sedai
Aes Sedai

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Mart on Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:43 pm

I have no recollection of the incident in question, Your Honor...

Uncle Mart
Aes Sedai
Aes Sedai

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric Gaidin on Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:10 pm

Which incident?
Eric Gaidin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  kimwhite624 on Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:07 pm

I think he is refering to the Encyclopedia incident! ha ha ha.....And you call yourself an Uncle!

kimwhite624
Aes Sedai
Aes Sedai

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Encyclopedia incident

Post  The_Dark_1 on Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:39 pm

You have to excuse Mr. White. They say the memory is the first to go. confused

The_Dark_1
Ta'veren
Ta'veren

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric Gaidin on Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:33 pm

There it is, I knew I'd see it sooner or later.
Eric Gaidin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum