Countdown to Tarmon Gai'don
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rand and The Void

3 posters

Go down

Rand and The Void Empty Rand and The Void

Post  kimwhite624 Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:12 pm

So I was reading and it hit me that the void is much like the relaxing and channeling processes the Aes Sedai use. It is very apparent in Chapter 11 and 12. Chapter 11 Rand finally falls asleep with the void, chapter 12 Egwene begins her classes by focussing on the bud. There are too many similarities to list here.

It also appears to me that Rand disapears into the void. Has anyone else noticed this? There is some major connection between the Void, Rand and the One Power. In the end of Chapter 11 while Padan Fain is thinking to himself "he could not feel al'Thor, now; the distance between them was too great. Or perhaps al'Thor was doing his vanishing trick. Sometimes, in the keep, the boy had suddenly vanished from Fain's senses. He did not know how, but always al'Thor came back, just as suddenly as he had gone."

What do you make of this?

So when are we having our first WOT book discussion party? Ill make food!

kimwhite624
Aes Sedai
Aes Sedai

Back to top Go down

Rand and The Void Empty Re: Rand and The Void

Post  Uncle Mart Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:15 pm

THAT is a smashing idea! I'm SO there.

As for the Void... it is similar to the technique used by the Aes Sedai, but also very different. The Aes Sedai need to be completely relaxed and calm to allow Saidar to flow through them. They need to completely surrender to it... going mentally "limp" for lack of a better description. Rand has to be in the Void to channel Saidin. But while Rand may appear to be very calm in the Void, he's anything but. The Void is more like extreme concentration to the point where nothing else exists. For a man to channel Saidin he has to fight it... force it to do what he wants. Saidin fights back lol. At various points in the series Jordan describes it as "riding an avalanche." If Rand loses focus he has to let go of Saidin or be consumed by it.

Uncle Mart
Aes Sedai
Aes Sedai

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric Gaidin Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:16 am

A Discussion Party would be fantastic! What a great way to get ready for A Memory of Light. See, this is why I love this woman.

Why don't we plan on meeting sometime this summer? July is "Crown of Swords" month as far as the reading challenge is concerned. So, why don't we meet after we've all taken a look at half of the series? There's plenty to talk about.
Eric Gaidin
Eric Gaidin
Admin
Admin

https://robertjordan.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down