Countdown to Tarmon Gai'don
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Revenge vs. Justice

3 posters

Go down

Revenge vs. Justice Empty Revenge vs. Justice

Post  kimwhite624 Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:19 pm

In the end of The Great Hunt, Where Egwene is freed from the Damane by Nynaeve, Min and Elayne. Renna Egwene's sul'dam walks in. Egwene collars her and takes a hold of the leash. She begins toturing Renna, as punishment for all the hurtful things she did to Egwene. Nynaeve stogs Egwene and she breaks down in tears.

Elayne says "Rand would kill someone who did a thing like that."

Nynaeve's response is "Men often mistake revenge and killing for justice."

I found this an interesting take on how women deal with punishment as opposed to men. Prevoius women ruled societies, especialy during the paleolithic era, lived in peace and did not even have a word in their vocabulary for war. So it is interesting to think that in our patriarcal society how we may "mistake revenge and killing for justice."

kimwhite624
Aes Sedai
Aes Sedai

Back to top Go down

Revenge vs. Justice Empty Re: Revenge vs. Justice

Post  Eric Gaidin Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:21 pm

This is a blemish on patriarchy--plain and simple. The problem has been that men in power have trouble resisting what is right, good and true for their themselves, as opposed to doing what is right, good and true for their nation. The theme of selfish power grabs pervades literature, so there must be something to it. Women should rule the world. I've said this since I was a senior in high school.
Eric Gaidin
Eric Gaidin
Admin
Admin

https://robertjordan.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Mart Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:48 am

Now let's be fair. Both genders can be downright mean. Generally speaking, men are more aggressive and violent. We make war. However, most wars throughout history haven't been about revenge. They have been about a society's way of life. Countries fight over land, resources and ideals. They fight for as many different reasons as there are reasons. It always boils down to way of life. Since men have ruled most societies in the history of our race, we get the credit and the blame. Neither of you can tell me that you've never heard of the old sayings about "a woman scorned" though. Women can be just as violent, sadistic, and vengeful as any man. Let's not mistake what Egwene did to Renna as warfare. Egwene was paying back a wrong that was done to her on a personal level. In this case revenge and justice were the same thing. Egwene wasn't killing Renna, she was doing EXACTLY what had been done to her. Hammurabi's Code is the oldest known written law (written by a man, I might add), and Egwene followed it perfectly. An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth. Our two genders are more alike than many people realize... or want to admit.

Just my 2 copper.

Uncle Mart
Aes Sedai
Aes Sedai

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric Gaidin Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:16 am

I think you missed the boat here--I have nothing to say against what you said. However, the point of discussion is the quote between Nynaeve and Elayne. I think Robert Jordan encapsulated the difference between men and women very well there. Men are generally more violent than women. We're dealing with generalizations mind you, so obviously there will be specific instances where the generalization falls flat on its face.
Elayne says "Rand would kill someone who did a thing like that."
Nynaeve's response is "Men often mistake revenge and killing for justice."

Again, a generalization, but oftentimes generalizations hold true.

Last edited by Eric Gaidin on Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:16 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : correction)
Eric Gaidin
Eric Gaidin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Mart Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:55 am

Pish posh... hogwash and poppycock even!

Uncle Mart
Aes Sedai
Aes Sedai

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric Gaidin Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:29 pm

Yes, I agree.
Eric Gaidin
Eric Gaidin
Admin
Admin