Ulterior Motives

Go down

Ulterior Motives

Post  Eric Gaidin on Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:19 am

I'm seriously thinking about writing a research thesis on the Wheel of Time for my Masters. I'll be scanning your posts to see if you guys dig up anything juicy that could really warrant some thorough academic digging. Very Happy
Eric Gaidin
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://robertjordan.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Ulterior motives

Post  The_Dark_1 on Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:00 pm

You have bamboozled me yet again good sir. I can't wait to read your paper on WOT should you choose to write one.

The_Dark_1
Ta'veren
Ta'veren

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulterior Motives

Post  Peter on Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:21 pm

Writing a thesis paper on WOT? Now that has gotta be some fun. I didnt think that was allowed.

Peter
Ta'veren
Ta'veren

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric Gaidin on Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:32 pm

Wasn't allowed? Literature is defined as such by any given culture. Our culture has wholehartedly adopted Jordan's work as supremely crafted art that carries with it a certain social significance. Decades can be spent studying Jordan's work. As a master storyteller, Jordan has left us with a mountain of raw material to immerse ourselves in. As readers--and foremost as intellectuals--works of this magnitude must be studied, weighed, criticized, cross-referenced, and compared. The Wheel of Time has absolutely no meaning in and of itself--it's a collection of paper glued together into a rectangular shape. It is only when a reader turns into a critic--a critic here simply refering to a person who has something to say or write about a particular work--that the text divulges any meaning. Think of it this way, the very fact that the three of us are on this site posting for the last four days concerning this series is evidence enough that there's something important about these novels. What that importance is is for us to decide, and write down. These books mean something to us. They affected us in some strong way; just as Charles Dickens' novels affected Victorians, Shakespeare's playes affected Elizabethans, and Mark Antony's speeches affected the Romans.

Art, in a very real sense, is our expression of the world around us. Jordan, in creating The Wheel of Time, is conveying the world of his inner eye. What a fantastic world it is! It is crucial for people to analyze that world to derive meaning from it. Otherwise, Robert Jordan wasted a good number of years--decades even--developing something that mattered only to him. Art is what separates us from the animals.

So, of course a thesis can be written on The Wheel of Time. For some weird reason, fantasy and science fiction don't ever seem to be mainstream literature in this country. I'd love to be able to get to the bottom of that one. I would argue that Jordan's work ranks right up there with Shakespeare--of course the form is different but there is something extrinisically poetic about Jordan's ability to weave a tale of such depth and color. I'll leave it at this. I could go on for pages.
Eric Gaidin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Peter on Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:52 pm

I was making a joke when i said i didn't think it would be allowed, but thanks for the 34 page reply anyway. Haha no i agree with what your saying. I think it would be awesome if fantasy and science fiction could be in mainstream literature, and i think we should read great fantasy authors in school like tolkien and jordan.

Peter
Ta'veren
Ta'veren

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric Gaidin on Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:12 am

I teach the Hobbit and students hate it. Now, it could easily be the way I teach it, but the students I teach it to are iliterate asses anyways, so I don't value their opinion too highly.

Peter, next time it'll be 64 pages.. affraid
Eric Gaidin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Peter on Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:15 pm

WHO COULD POSSIBLE HATE THE HOBBIT!!!!!!!!!!!! Your students do not deserve to be taught by you if they cannot enjoy the Hobbit. Im sure its not your teaching. Then again, you can drone on sometimes Smile . Haha just kidding

Peter
Ta'veren
Ta'veren

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric Gaidin on Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:56 am

I've been known to drone on on occassion....
Eric Gaidin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Peter on Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:32 pm

I find that hard to believe

Peter
Ta'veren
Ta'veren

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric Gaidin on Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:29 pm

I teach an 80-minute class. Gotta fill it somehow.
Eric Gaidin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum