Countdown to Tarmon Gai'don
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This man is a perfect pick

3 posters

Go down

This man is a perfect pick Empty This man is a perfect pick

Post  Eric Gaidin Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:07 pm

Elantris is a fantastic read. I'm only about 150 pages into it but it's different from other fantasy stories, which is refreshing. Sanderson has a great understanding about how to insert interesting--yet not confusing--political machinations. He also utilizes religion in a very effective manner. The religion in the novel reminds me of Catholicism, as far as the notion of the expanding empire is concerned. The characters are well-fleshed out, but not overly. Here is where Sanderson greatly differs from Jordan--level of detail. Sanderson's characters are likeable, but they seem to be superficial almost. It's hard to put a word to it, but Sanderson doesn't write much of an inner monologue. If you look at Jordan, he spends pages dealing with a character's thoughts. Sanderson will spend a short paragraph and move on.

Many people will probably love this--it allows the plot to move quicker. But I read Jordan for the characters. I swear I know Mat, Perrin, and Rand as if I had went to high school with them. However, writing the last book in the series would have worked for any new author who was selected--they don't HAVE to spend as much time in character development, Jordan has already done it!

This bodes well for the series, folks. More action, with just enough character development to keep our palates sated. I'm looking forward to finishing Elantris but I really can't wait to get my hands on A Memory of Light. Sanderson has my approval (as if he needed it, lol).
Eric Gaidin
Eric Gaidin
Admin
Admin

https://robertjordan.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

This man is a perfect pick Empty Re: This man is a perfect pick

Post  Peter Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:24 pm

I agree that Elantris is a great read, and it was definally something different. I enjoyed reading it, and i hope that means that A memory of light will be good

Peter
Ta'veren
Ta'veren

Back to top Go down

Post  Peter Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:27 pm

Also, another thing to take note of that i just thought of. Jordan had long books with all the details of explaining characters and going indepth into everything. Even though Sanderson does not has as much inner monologue, A Memory of Light is still going to be the longest book in the series, and it is estimated to be finished somewhere between 650k and 750k words. I can't wait i love long books!

O yeah and now im finally a Shienaran Warder! Goodnight.

Peter
Ta'veren
Ta'veren

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric Gaidin Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:25 am

Two volumes would be wonderful. The more text to cherish the better.

Supposedly Jordan had so many prequel-ish notes that they might get Sanderson to write the remaining two prequel books that were supposed to have been written. These would be the remaining two that follow New Spring. Sanderson himself has said that he feels Tam's story really needs to be told, and I agree with him. A Two Rivers man who fought in the Aiel war marries an Aiel woman (or knew her, or banged her...can't remember) who ends up bearing the Dragon Reborn. Wild storytelling, gotta love it.
Eric Gaidin
Eric Gaidin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

This man is a perfect pick Empty Rands mom

Post  The_Dark_1 Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:35 pm

From what I understand Rands real mother is Tigrane, she was the daughter heir of Andor. I assume she is the one banging the Aiel. She had the baby on Dragonmount as you know and Tam found her laying there with the baby and brought him home to Kari Al'Thor

The_Dark_1
Ta'veren
Ta'veren

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric Gaidin Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:36 pm

Ok, gotcha, that makes sense. Being we're posting in the Sanderson forum...

I have 90 pages left in Elantris. Sanderson is WAY better than Jordan at developing a political plotline. I was never interested in the politics in Jordan's books, but Sanderson had me wrapped up into the various political maneuverings of the characters. The downside, however, is that Sanderson didn't fit one single large-scale battle into the book. Maybe it'll happen in the last 90 pages, but I need a gigantic clash in a fantasy novel. No Dumais Wells for Sanderson. Has anyone read his Mistborn trilogy? I'm curious whether or not he avoids battles altogether.
Eric Gaidin
Eric Gaidin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Peter Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:06 pm

I'll eventually get around to reading his mistborn trilogy. Its close to the top on my list of books to read, just for the fact that i want to get to know Sanderson's writing before the last book comes out. Ill let you know how it is, seeing that ill probably get around to reading it before you. First i gotta read Lord of the Rings again (if im doing it for my paper), and i would like to finish reading the Redwall Series (nice recommendation Eric).

Peter
Ta'veren
Ta'veren

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum