Countdown to Tarmon Gai'don
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Wild Hunt

4 posters

Go down

The Wild Hunt Empty The Wild Hunt

Post  Eric Gaidin Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:32 pm

Here's another origin for a Jordan element. The Hunt for the Horn of Valere that takes place in Illian is adopted from Norse mythology called the Wild Hunt. The dead would ride great clouds in the sky as they charged forth, creating thunderstorms. What does the Horn of Valere do? It brings back the Hundred Companions, those who have been dead for three thousand years. Here's a Wikipedia article on it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_Hunt

It does my heart good to know Jordan was so well versed in Norse mythology. He takes right after Tolkien in that respect. Tolkien mined Germanic and Norse mythology to create a lot of the flavor for the Lord of the Rings. Take a look at the horsemasters, the Rohirrim. Their castle at Edoras is essentially an Anglo-Saxon mead hall.

Beowulf vs. Aragorn--who would win?
Eric Gaidin
Eric Gaidin
Admin
Admin

https://robertjordan.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

The Wild Hunt Empty Questioonnn

Post  StephEN Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:52 pm

Aragorn... sorry, have to stick to my favorite fantasy characters.

Anyway, about the horn. It said that whoever blew the horn, the great heroes of the past would come to his, or her, aid. Mat blew the horn, so why did all the heroes automatically turn to Rand as their leader?

StephEN
Aiel Spearman
Aiel Spearman

Back to top Go down

The Wild Hunt Empty Re: The Wild Hunt

Post  Eric Gaidin Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:37 pm

They actually didn't turn to Rand, they simply acknowledged him as The Dragon. Artur Hawkwing and the other heroes were acknowledging another thread that's constantly woven back into the Pattern--like nodding to an old acquaintance you seem to come across now and again. You're correct, Mat blew the horn, therefore they fight for Mat. The heroes of legend are tied to Mat now; even more reason for Mat to stay alive. Mat is on The Dragon's side, therefore the heroes of the horn fought for Rand indirectly.
Eric Gaidin
Eric Gaidin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

The Wild Hunt Empty O.o

Post  StephEN Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:38 am

Gotcha! Okay, well that makes sense, I guess they're acknowledging him and his taking the lead of the charge kind of made me feel that way. But its really cool to think of Mat as the one heading the army of heroes past because he's already so tied into things of the past.

StephEN
Aiel Spearman
Aiel Spearman

Back to top Go down

The Wild Hunt Empty ***Spoiler***

Post  kimwhite624 Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:30 pm

***Spoiler***

If the warriors come back to fight for Matt, what if Matt becomes a dark friend. I get the feeling Matt is not done with his connection to Shadar Logoth and the Rubby dagger. It has some sort of hold on him. Sort of a festering wound that may be dormant for the time, but will return worse than ever.

kimwhite624
Aes Sedai
Aes Sedai

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric Gaidin Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:36 pm

I think it was Moiraine who made it clear that the Horn will call the heroes for whoever blows it--even darkfriends. It was either Moiraine or maybe Verin. In any case, the tie to Shadar Logoth was severed when Mat underwent his triple-heart bypass via saidar at the White Tower.
Eric Gaidin
Eric Gaidin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Mart Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:54 am

I disagree with you Eric. The heroes did turn to Rand to lead them. The conversation starts on page 661, but at the very top of page 662 Artur Hawkwing says "The weave of this moment is set. We have come to the Horn, but we must follow the banner. And the Dragon." The dead heroes couldn't advance on the Seanchan until Rand led the charge. You are correct that Mat is tied to the Horn now, and while he lives the heroes will only come to his call. But they take their orders from the Dragon Reborn.

You, sir, have been rule mongered.

Uncle Mart
Aes Sedai
Aes Sedai

Back to top Go down

Post  kimwhite624 Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:20 pm

In book 4 I could swear I just read a small paragraph about the undead answering the horn, but for the life of me cannot find it. Maybe someone who knows the books better can find it. But from what I remember it says something about Mat needing to blow the horn, yet the undead taking orders from the leader, which at Falme was obviously Rand. I may just be getting confused by pg 830 of 890, plus reading the blogs on 2 different books, but if anyone has the same memory, maybe we can find it. Or you can just tell me I have lost it! Very Happy

kimwhite624
Aes Sedai
Aes Sedai

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric Gaidin Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:17 pm

I disagree with you completely. The reason they followed the banner was because Mat was allied with the Dragon. Therefore, they were following orders from the highest ranking member of the group. If the horn falls into the hands of the Shadow, and Mat dies, Verin makes it clear that the heroes of the Horn are tied to the one who sounds it, not to the Dragon. Therefore, stated plainly, the heroes are not tied to the Dragon. The Dragon happened to be present when the heroes were called. Had he not been, Mat would have been their commandant.
Eric Gaidin
Eric Gaidin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Mart Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:18 am

Well I agree with that. I was thinking along the same lines. I think the dead heroes fight for whichever side blows the Horn, not necessarily the specific person. The point I was making was that they DID turn to Rand to lead them, no matter what the reason was. Next time I'll remember who I'm debating with and write a 3 page essay to make sure it's all clear. Rule Nazi!!

Uncle Mart
Aes Sedai
Aes Sedai

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric Gaidin Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:33 am

Uncle Mart wrote: Next time I'll remember who I'm debating with and write a 3 page essay to make sure it's all clear. Rule Nazi!!

It's all in good fun! I love the conversation, that's why this forum was set up in the first place.

I'd like to take this moment to recognize that in less than two months, A Gathering Storm hits the shelves! Good lord I can't wait to read that book.
Eric Gaidin
Eric Gaidin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down