Countdown to Tarmon Gai'don
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wheel of Time video games

4 posters

Go down

Wheel of Time video games Empty Wheel of Time video games

Post  Eric Gaidin Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:51 am

Now this is amazing. Apparently Red Eagle Games and EA have partnered up to create a whole host of solo games set in The Wheel of Time. What's even more interesting is that they're creating a massive multiplayer online game (MMO). Just like World of Warcraft. Wait a minute, you mean I can choose to be a Warder or Asha'man, wander around the Tear, Illian, Cairhien, Caemlyn...and fight the Shadow. Holy crap, where do I sign up!
http://www.massively.com/2009/01/15/ea-signs-on-to-distribute-the-wheel-of-time-mmo/

Red Eagle Games - Main Site

Last edited by Eric Gaidin on Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:55 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added link)
Eric Gaidin
Eric Gaidin
Admin
Admin

https://robertjordan.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Wheel of Time video games Empty Re: Wheel of Time video games

Post  Peter Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:30 am

Are you joking or being serious. If this is true there is no way im not going to play. Imagine actually playing a wheel of time based game. Holy Crap!

Peter
Ta'veren
Ta'veren

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric Gaidin Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:55 pm

Of course I'm serious. Hence the links.

A MMO would be pretty fascinating as long as they stuck to the design in the books. I'm curious to how they would institue a storyline, or mission goals. Would it be anachronistic with the novels, or is there some way in which the events of the novels can unfold around your character? Both sides have limitations, but I think I'd like to live through events in the novel. Who knows, maybe they can devote some of their servers to each type. Should be wild either way though. Or as crazy as a black-veiled Aiel cheers
Eric Gaidin
Eric Gaidin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Mart Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:10 am

MMOs don't usually have a general story line. You create your character, fight monsters, go on quests, etc. Think of it like playing d&d on the computer. You adventure in the setting, but don't follow a specific course. I doubt the events in the books would dictate much about gameplay. Either way, it'll be interesting. Sign me up!

Mart

Uncle Mart
Aes Sedai
Aes Sedai

Back to top Go down

Wheel of Time video games Empty ***SPOILERS***

Post  Eric Gaidin Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:29 am

***SPOILERS**** If it's not set during a specific time though it would have consequences to game play. For example, would the game world be set in a time after Rand cleansed the taint? This would be pretty damn important especially for a character who was Asha'man. Heck, if set before, then Ash'man might not even exist. Now that would suck. Have the Seanchan landed at Almoth Plain yet? Is the Tower broken/divided? These are all huge political events that would affect the game world quite drastically. I'm curious how they play no handling that. I realize MMO don't usually follow a storyline. But unlike D&D there's a very well-established storyline that 99% of the players will know. I'm curious to see how that's going to be tackled.
Eric Gaidin
Eric Gaidin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Mart Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:50 am

I'll tell you EXACTLY how they'll handle that. They'll set the game in the beginning of the novel series, and the major events will be released as expansions later. The expansions bring new politics, new playable classes, and continued interest in the game. They ARE in it for the money after all. That's what every other MMO does, and I see no reason why EA wouldn't do the same.

Uncle Mart
Aes Sedai
Aes Sedai

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric Gaidin Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:59 am

Ah, now that would make sense. Thanks Uncle Mart! Razz
Eric Gaidin
Eric Gaidin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  GreatGamsby Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:21 pm

Better late then never for registering...

I don't think a MMORPG is the way to go for WoT. The world changes too much through the series. While I agree to an extent with Mart's ideas to change the things with expansions, it won't work. The expansions will change how the dynamics of the game and the areas, but it won't add more content. New users will not be able to access the old content and old users can't revisit it with new characters.

Since work hasn't started, depending on what happens, starting it after the end of book 12 may be the best way to go.

They will have to pick a time (probably book 6 or later) and could add additional lands as expansions (Shara, Seanchan, the Foxes and Snakes dimension, ruins of Malkier in the Blight, etc).

With all the factions that don't like one another, I do wonder if it will be a player vs player game.

GreatGamsby
Cairhienin Foot Soldier
Cairhienin Foot Soldier

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric Gaidin Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:32 pm

I completely agree with you GreatGamsby--about time you joined this forum! We've been waiting for your input.

The world really is complicated, I have no idea how they plan on doing it. However, single games have also been planned, as per the link posted above. So, those single-release games will probably allow you to be various main characters, like the recent Lord of the Rings rpgs that came out (I'm thinking of The Third Age in particular). Those games are probably going to be awesome. As longs as the graphics are stunning, and the game play isn't half bad, I'll be impressed. I have high expectations for the graphics however because the people, places, and creatures have been so vividly described that I would like to see a game that at least meets my imagination.
Eric Gaidin
Eric Gaidin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down