Countdown to Tarmon Gai'don
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chapter 1: An Empty Road

4 posters

Go down

Chapter 1: An Empty Road Empty Chapter 1: An Empty Road

Post  Eric Gaidin Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:01 pm

Myrdraal in the first chapter, yikes!
Eric Gaidin
Eric Gaidin
Admin
Admin

https://robertjordan.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Chapter 1: An Empty Road Empty A couple of other things I noticed in the first chapter

Post  The_Dark_1 Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:18 pm

Rand mentions how he doesn't look like his father, how he takes after his mother. Granted he is talking about Kari Al'Thor not his Aiel Mother but it was a quick hint right off the bat. Also Tam is carrying a spear. When I started reading EOTW again a little while ago I started going to other message boards and people were pointing out that the Two Rivers symbolizes the rest of the world. "The Winespring is an allegory of the True Source, strong enough to knock a man down (saidin), but sweet (saidar).Its flows never fails." The mountains of mist symbolize the Mountains of Doom, it goes on and on. Pretty interesting stuff.

The_Dark_1
Ta'veren
Ta'veren

Back to top Go down

Chapter 1: An Empty Road Empty Re: Chapter 1: An Empty Road

Post  Eric Gaidin Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:45 pm

At what site did you find this comparison?
Eric Gaidin
Eric Gaidin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Chapter 1: An Empty Road Empty WOT Mania

Post  The_Dark_1 Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:07 pm

The_Dark_1
Ta'veren
Ta'veren

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric Gaidin Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:03 pm

Well, the thing about symbolism is that its interpretation is reader-based. Who the heck knows if RJ planned that stuff or not. Many would say that it doesn't matter whether RJ planned it, but I tend to think the author plays a prominent role in allegory specifically. Symbolism is another matter, as I stated above.

The Mountains of Mist symbolzing the Mountains of Doom? That's a stretch.

I didn't realize the Tolkien connection to just now, as far as the names are concerned. RJ=Mountains of Mist :: J.R.R.T=Misty Mountains; RJ=Mountains of Doom :: J.R.R.T=Mount Dhoom. Gotta love when a contemporary writer tips his hat to what came before.
Eric Gaidin
Eric Gaidin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Chapter 1: An Empty Road Empty 1st time reader

Post  kimwhite624 Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:42 pm

Being that I am reading WOT for the first time I will be very far behind you all. I will also be depending you to help me get through this and explain it.

My first thoughts are:
-Le Morte d'Arthur anyone? There are way to similarities to even begin.
-Am I reading WOT or Lord of the Rings, I get confused sometimes. So far to me, it is not quite a tip of the hat to Tolkein, but almost a complete copy. The further I read, it appears there are more differences, thankfully. Although, it was kind of nice having Vigo Mortenson ride through my head as I read.
-I am sure you all love this, but being a child of the here and now generation (yes Ryan you can make a crack about how I married father time) Jordan is a bit lenthy at times, and it does take a bit of effort to weed through all of his excessive, ornate, extraordinary, yet magnificant, thought provoking knowledgable resources yet at the same time wonderfuly flowing and softening to the ear and mind, by this I mean description is a little much!

kimwhite624
Aes Sedai
Aes Sedai

Back to top Go down

Post  Peter Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:33 pm

You are reading WOT for the first time? That is great that you got around to it personally i thought you would never read it Smile. I hope that you enjoy it as much as i did when reading it for the first time.

Personally, i enjoy the fact that Jordan is very descriptive. Sometimes it can get lengthy, but i love how Jordan makes sure the he fills out every character and scene with plenty of detail. In some situations it can get annoying and take a while to read, but overall i think that Jordans over descriptiveness benefits everyone.

Peter
Ta'veren
Ta'veren

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric Gaidin Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:32 pm

Jordan is a bit lenthy at times, and it does take a bit of effort to weed through all of his excessive, ornate, extraordinary, yet magnificant, thought provoking knowledgable resources yet at the same time wonderfuly flowing and softening to the ear and mind, by this I mean description is a little much!

I think Kim's trying to be funny here...lol.

Jordan's prose is extravagant. He definitely loses the award for Most Economical Writer, but I also feel that that's his brand. Jordan's writing is so vivid and detailed that you can't help but be there. That's the amazing part about it. If you have the will to read Jordan, then you're forced to be trasported to RandLand. You have no option. He conquers every smell, sight, taste, touch, and sound imaginable. You can hear what it's like to be amidst the busy tavern called the Stag and Lion in Baerlon. I swear if I had any artistic talent whatsoever I could draw it.
Eric Gaidin
Eric Gaidin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  kimwhite624 Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:04 pm

Glad you got the illussion I was going for! Very Happy I don't think anyone needs to see you draw a picture of the stag and lion lol!

kimwhite624
Aes Sedai
Aes Sedai

Back to top Go down

Post  Peter Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:58 pm

If only you were an artist. Sadly neither am i.

Peter
Ta'veren
Ta'veren

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down