Countdown to Tarmon Gai'don
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Sea Folk

4 posters

Go down

The Sea Folk Empty The Sea Folk

Post  kimwhite624 Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:45 pm

So how many of you like the Sea Folk? Please spread your thoughts as to why. I am wondering how many of you like them because the women are bare breatsted on the ship.

kimwhite624
Aes Sedai
Aes Sedai

Back to top Go down

The Sea Folk Empty Re: The Sea Folk

Post  Uncle Mart Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:01 am

I like them. They have a very unique culture that sets them apart from every other society in the series. They are almost exclusively ocean bound. Their status among themselves is determined in ways that are completely alien to the land bound nations. I think the idea that their ships are more important than their crew is an interesting twist on patriotism. They sacrifice a few of their own at a steady rate just to keep the White Tower off their backs. In the words of the immortal Mr. Spock, "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one."

Uncle Mart
Aes Sedai
Aes Sedai

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric Gaidin Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:43 am

The Atha'an Miere are a very interesting society. They're focused on trade and exploration--not a bad cultural philosophy. Plus, they respect their Windfinders, which is noticeably different from the Westlands and the Seanchan. The only other people who respect their channelers are the Aiel. Overall, I would have liked to see more of the culture in detail. I'm curious as to what role they're going to play in Tarmon Gai'don, considering how passive they tend to be.
Eric Gaidin
Eric Gaidin
Admin
Admin

https://robertjordan.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  kimwhite624 Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:34 pm

hhhmmmm Very interesting ideas. Thanks! I have moved on from them, but hope they return later on, as they are very interesting soo far. I love the idea of how Jordan uses a matriachal society. The interactions between Coine and her husband Toram are the epitomy of this. Just some neat ideas and thoughts.

kimwhite624
Aes Sedai
Aes Sedai

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric Gaidin Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:45 pm

I really enjoy this about Jordan as well. His societies are very different from one another. Culture shock is a regular experience for many of the varied characters. This is one of the reasons Jordan's fantasy world is so immersive and awe-inspiring. It's dynamic and feels three dimensional.
Eric Gaidin
Eric Gaidin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  kimwhite624 Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:41 pm

Speaking of culture shock, I just came across a great quote about the matriachal society and how cultures are very different. Each society only learns what they want to hear about others cultures. Sort of like now, many American's think that all people who wear turban's are terrorists. Same as all Iraqui's and Afghanis are terrorists as well. This shoud teach us to be a little more tolerant and not judge people based on what we have heard, but our own personal experiences with them.

Ch. 49
Aviendha "Women are not powerless among us, not like your wetlander women who must be queens or nobles or else dance for a man if they wish to eat!"

Everytime [Rand] was on the point of berating himself for how little he had learned about the Aiel, Aviendha reminded him how little she knew about anyone not Aiel. "Someday I would like to introduce you to the Women's Circle in Emond's Field. It will be... interesting ... to hear you explain to them how powerless they are."

kimwhite624
Aes Sedai
Aes Sedai

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric Gaidin Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:38 pm

Excellent point! The Aiel are not without their flaws, as you evidenced there. They are extremely isolationist, and that has bred them to believe in some gross generalizations. Great point.
Eric Gaidin
Eric Gaidin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

The Sea Folk Empty !

Post  StephEN Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:51 am

I don't have any real deep thoughts about the Sea Folk, but I really like them. They were so serene, if that's the right word. I dunno, they were neat.

As far as the Aiel, I liked them all along, and then kind of liked them less when the book ended up in the Waste, but then re-liked them when we get to see how they live. Their "villages" are amazing! And I also believe they are the ones who experience the most culture shock, because, like one of you mentioned, they're very "isolationist" and really don't know anythhiinngg about anyone other than themselves, and other than clan chiefs, they know nothing of their own past.

StephEN
Aiel Spearman
Aiel Spearman

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric Gaidin Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:07 pm

The Aiel are really interesting because of the historical baggage that the Clan Chiefs and Wise Ones carry around with them. To think that they originally abhorred violence and wouldn't defend themselves is incredible--a complete cultural 180.

The Sea Folk aren't developed well until Winter's Heart, book 9. Once the Bowl of the Winds comes into play, that culture takes a front seat.
Eric Gaidin
Eric Gaidin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum