Countdown to Tarmon Gai'don
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Channeling Saidar

5 posters

Go down

Channeling Saidar Empty Channeling Saidar

Post  kimwhite624 Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:29 pm

I don't know how relevant this is, but I noticed in this book a few references to Elayne being able to channel and Nynaeve not being able to see it. It is pointed out several times in the books that women who can channel are able to see others around them glow with Saidar when channeling. They cannot see men do it, only other women. Here is the most recent time Jordan states that Nynaeve cannot see Elayne channel.

Toward the end of ch. 17 Elayne and Nynaeve's party are trying to get passage with a traveling circus. Elayne climbs up on the tight rope and walks across it. This is Nynaeve's inner monologue "She could not see the glow of Saidar, but she knew Elayne had woven a path between the two platforms, of Air, no doubt, turned as hard as stone."

It makes me wonder if Elayne, Nynaeve and even Egwene are taping into a new sort of Saidar. From the prophesy's all three of these women will be able to channel more strongly than women have for centuries. It leads me to wonder if they can channel with out other's seeing, then it can be a huge advantage over their enemies.

kimwhite624
Aes Sedai
Aes Sedai

Back to top Go down

Channeling Saidar Empty Wilder

Post  The_Dark_1 Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:19 pm

I think the reason that Nynaeve can't see Elayne is because Nynaeve is a wilder. She doesn't have control over her abilities so I am pretty sure that is the reason. Either that or she was too far away. I know there is a range. Especially if Elayne didn't use a lot of the power.

The_Dark_1
Ta'veren
Ta'veren

Back to top Go down

Channeling Saidar Empty Re: Channeling Saidar

Post  Uncle Mart Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:24 pm

From what I understand there is a range on how far away a woman can feel Saidar being used, and yes it is affected by how much is used, but there's no range on being able to see the glow surrounding a woman channeling. I think maybe Nynaeve couldn't see the weave either because she wasn't angry, and therefore was unable to channel herself at the time, or because Elayne may have tied off the weave. Sensing a weave that has been tied off may be different than watching one as it's weaved. *Shrug... just speculation hehe.

Uncle Mart
Aes Sedai
Aes Sedai

Back to top Go down

Post  kimwhite624 Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:07 pm

Thanks for all the ideas. It makes alot of sense now that you put it that way. I didn't know there was a range on the ability to see saidar. Well that could be my problem. I seem to understand it as "seeing" rather than "sensing" or "feeling" saidar. I have taken a short hiatus from reading the past week. I have been too busy with baby books lately. Hopefully I will be returning in the next day or 2.

kimwhite624
Aes Sedai
Aes Sedai

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric Gaidin Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:44 am

Channelers definitely "see" the weave as it's woven. Jordan describes it as a complex knot of energy that settles into itself, which then forms the specific power or effect. I think Dark1's answer concerning Nynaeve being a wilder is right on. However, I find it strange that just because Nynaeve isn't holding onto the One Power that she can't see it. Channelers don't need to be opened up to the Source in order to see a weave or at least the aura of another woman as that woman opens herself up to the Source. I'm going to have to look into this more.
Eric Gaidin
Eric Gaidin
Admin
Admin

https://robertjordan.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Channeling Saidar Empty Block

Post  StephEN Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:56 pm

My guess would be that Nynaeve can't see it because of her block. She can't seem to do much of anything with the Source due to her block, so that could be what's stopping her from seeing the weaves. Maybe once she's able to freely open herself up to saidar she'll be able to see and sense it being used like any other woman who could can Channel.

StephEN
Aiel Spearman
Aiel Spearman

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric Gaidin Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:51 pm

Can't blocked wilders still see the aura of a women holding the Power once the wilder recognizes what her block is (and the fact that she can channel)?
Eric Gaidin
Eric Gaidin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Channeling Saidar Empty Weird

Post  StephEN Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:44 am

Well, I'm currently in book 9 and our wilder still cannot sense it or something. I don't remember exactly what happened but she was in the castle in Camelyn and mentioned it herself.

StephEN
Aiel Spearman
Aiel Spearman

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric Gaidin Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:01 am

Interesting.

***SPOILER***

Even though Nynaeve broke through her block she still can't see when other women channel (she broke through her block in book 6 I think)? I didn't realize this. Maybe one must be formally trained to see the aura around other women. You'd think Nynaeve would have gotten that training, but I guess we can excuse her since she's been a little busy trying to keep a hold on Lan and keep Rand from going crazy.

BTW Steph, you're on 9? Good book. You really have to just pummel your way through book 10. 10 is a little tough to get through--it's very political. It's worth it though, because both 11 and 12 are fantastic.
Eric Gaidin
Eric Gaidin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  StephEN Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:34 am

I'm sure I'll still enjoy it. And also, back to the topic, don't forget she was never a novice, maybe this is the result of that?

StephEN
Aiel Spearman
Aiel Spearman

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric Gaidin Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:49 am

Well that's what I'm thinking to. Recognition of other women who are channeling might be a result of formal training. For some reason though that seems a little odd to me. You'd think that the ability to touch the True Source would allow you to then see others do the same. However, I guess that's why Nynaeve never realized she was channeling when she was healing people back in the Two Rivers before the events in book 1 took place. Makes sense.
Eric Gaidin
Eric Gaidin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  StephEN Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:27 pm

I was just reading about the Seanchan and the one was saying that she was horrified that she finally understood why she could see the weaves, so if she didn't know she was using the source and still saw it why couldn't our Two Rivers Wisdom see it?

StephEN
Aiel Spearman
Aiel Spearman

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric Gaidin Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:22 am

Wow, you might have found an inconsistency there. Nice catch!
Eric Gaidin
Eric Gaidin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum