Countdown to Tarmon Gai'don
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chapter 4 Summoned (SPOILERS!!)

2 posters

Go down

Chapter 4 Summoned (SPOILERS!!) Empty Chapter 4 Summoned (SPOILERS!!)

Post  The_Dark_1 Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:44 pm

In this chapter Moraine sees out of the corner of her eye Egwene sneaking Rand into the women's apartments. Below is the actual quote from the book.

"From the corner of her eye, Moiraine saw Egwene, far down the side hall, disappearing hurriedly around a corner. A stooped shape in a leather jerkin, head down and arms loaded with bundles, shambled at her heels. Moiraine permitted herself a small smile, quickly masked. If the girl shows as much initiative in Tar Valon, she thought wryly, she will sit in the Amyrlin Seat one day. If she can learn to control that initiative. If there is an Amyrlin Seat left on which to sit."

Its so cool to reread these books and see all the foreshadowing. I mean he really hints a lot that Egwene will one day be Amyrlin, that comes across easy enough the first time you read it. However to have this little paragraph snuck in book two is crazy. RJ is a genius. He puts in this part 3 books before anything happens in the tower. Not only hinting that she will become Amyrlin but that the tower will be broken. I know I keep saying it but I am having a blast re-reading these books. Because you know the story you can focus on his masterful description of the scene without trying to plow through to find out what happens next.

The_Dark_1
Ta'veren
Ta'veren

Back to top Go down

Chapter 4 Summoned (SPOILERS!!) Empty Re: Chapter 4 Summoned (SPOILERS!!)

Post  Eric Gaidin Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:51 pm

This isn't only homage to his genius but simply homage to the importance of planning your narrative. Many writers start with a beginning and see where they go. However, back in 1992, RJ gave an interview where he said that he already knew the ending of the books, he just had to get there. Mind you, he also thought it was going to be a 6 book series back then. But yes, it's wonderful to see the small pieces of the mosaic--it creates the sense of awe and amusement when you stand back and look at the whole piece.
Eric Gaidin
Eric Gaidin
Admin
Admin

https://robertjordan.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down